Monday 28 April 2008

Wheatear

My dad was a birdwatcher. He'd wander the fields and woods of the East Yorkshire village where I grew up and report back what he'd seen or heard. For some reason there's a couple of birds that in my memory have a strange mythical significance - the fieldfare and the wheatear. I can almost conjure the memory of him coming home and announcing that he'd seen one of these birds.

I saw a wheatear yesterday on my adventure with Ailsa. It's the first time I've ever seen one. And a magnificent little bird it is too. Worthy of a mythical status.

It has rained all day today. Very little wind - just constant rain. It's given me a fine excuse to do nothing. Great.

Jussi has spent all day unpacking and repacking all the boxes I brought up from Dunbar. New things are appearing all over the cottage - spice racks, notice boards, bath mats and lots of pictures. Good stuff.

Tomorrow will be more productive for me.

No comments: