Wednesday 30 April 2008

The urbanisation of tweetie pie

All these bloody twittering birds. Drives you bleedin mad. What they need is modernisation. I mean it's embarrassing them all living out in the open in a modern progressive society.

So in our first step I brought our bird house up from Dunbar. Amazingly birds seem to like it and many like to drop in and grab a seed or two before heading off again.

Hoodies in the 'hood
I met a man yesterday. A notable event in itself. He was a bird ringer and had been up in the hills behind us plotting the location of hoodie
nests. He gives this information to the game keeper who then goes and blows them off the face of the planet. This somewhat extreme social engineering is due to the fact that hoodies peck the eyes out of lambs. I'd heard this before but thought it was an old wives tale - but he assured me it was true. I asked him if buzzards were a problem too, he assured me not, as rabbits are so dumb they make much easier pickings.

The gamekeeper is out every night this time of year lamping foxes - though I've not seen him. I want to meet him though cos I'm dying to try fox pasta

1 comment:

Lulu Stader said...

Try ravens: they are even nastier to the lambs than hoodies, and to the ewes as well, around here, apparently. They take out the tounge as well, and the lamb has no chance of survival.
Nice, uh?