Monday 7 April 2008

Stuck in the mud


Yellow mug takes break from unloading the van. Some of you may notice the van is at an unnatural angle.

It took two days - on and off to free the van. The problem was that one of the front wheels had been driven off a ledge in the garden, tipping the van so that one of the rear wheels was lifted too high to give any grip. ("Does this mean we have a one wheel drive van?" asked Jussi. I smiled sagely and mumbled something about the 'differential' but to be honest I don't have a clue - but surely we cant have a one wheel drive van?!)

We tried lots of things to shift the van including stuff like gravel, old sacking, cardboard, a few layers of old wire fencing under the back wheel; reloading the van with heavy boxes over the raised wheel, swinging insanely off the tailgate (fun but ineffective) etc etc - but all to no avail.

Eventually, and I suspect, breaking every safety rule in the book, I built a platform of rocks under the front of the van and used it to support the jack and jacked up the front wheel - tilting the van to almost level and enabling us to drive the van off the jack. As I was doing this I remembered that the father of a childhood friend was killed by his jacked car falling on him. So I was very careful.

But oh how we whooped with delight.

No comments: