Wednesday 30 April 2008

Two firsts

Last night I saw bats here for the first time. I welcome them - though I cant hear them like I could in my younger days - possibly due to the lack of hot water and general cold making the ablution of ears a luxury to be undertaken only in times of need. Such as the unexpected appearance of small trees on the pillow in the morning.

This afternoon we heard a cuckoo. This is delightful is it not? I have a friend living the crofting life on the west coast who hates cuckoos cos they never shut up. I can well imagine and think it is time to start planning my aural arboretum. It could be a good wee money spinner too.

2 comments:

Lulu Stader said...

will that friend on the West Coast be Christian, who gets up in the middle of the night to throw stones at the cuckoo? (Luckily he is a cr@* shot so always misses.)

The Speaking Goat said...

Indeed it would. Good idea - thanks for the tip.