Friday 18 April 2008

Congestion

Petra (Pedi) doesn't want to do a house swap. Fair enough - I was only joking anyway. But it got me thinking - all those people!

In the last five days I have spoken to Jussi and Ailsa, of course (although maybe some of you are surprised that Jussi and I are still talking - but really it's fine), a woman in the store (once), the postie (twice) and a very brief hello to one of the neighbours. I've also had telephone conversations with four or five suppliers of various things. But that's it.


On the other hand I've had conversations with quite a few sheep and I've been sung to by blackbirds, robins, wagtails, bullfinches, green finches, sky larks, lapwings, curlews and other little finchy warbly things. I've been hauntingly whooped at by what I think are grouse. And of course I've been heartily laughed at by the van (see below).

But put it in perspective - I'm reading The Lizard Cage by Karen Connelly - which is all about a guy in solitary confinement in an appalling Burmese prison. I have blessings a-plenty - and I can't imagine what lengths that man would go to to get a bowl of bubbling cabbage soup.

No comments: