Thursday 29 May 2008

Rights of passage

Wort has grown into a man! This morning I syphoned him off into the barrel. Siphoning is fun - I mean you get several free mouthfuls before you can be sure the syphon is working. And hey! Wort is now beer.

Actually, given the bubbles I watched rising from the fermentation bucket as I was syphoning it out, I think maybe Wort has been casked prematurely. But no matter. The beer is now in a cask with about 150g of unrefined molasses for secondary fermentation. If I've casked it too early the worst that'll happen is I'll get excessively gassy beer, or maybe an exploding cask.

It's so exciting! The beer is meant to wait until midsummer, when we are hoping for visitors. Well maybe I'll be able to save some for that long - but five gallons isn't much in three weeks really is it?

3 comments:

Daniel said...

This reaalllly is the time to exercise self control. The longer you wait the better it will be.

KitYule said...

I second that remark.

The Speaking Goat said...

Well I think you're both smelly bullies - but maybe Chris is just trying to protect his supplies for when he gets here? You are coming aren't you Chris - and are you bringing someone special??????