Friday 9 May 2008

Planting Plan

From left to right, by plot, we have:
PLOT ONE: parsley, dill (to attract lacewings), broad beans (4 years after use by date), onions and carrots (co-planted to put off each others enemy insects), more onions, brussel sprouts.
PLOT TWO: parsley, dill, courgette, chard, cabbage, sacrificial nasturtiums (so that cabbage whites leave the cabbage alone) - a space for cucumbers - currently still being brought on in doors, picking lettuce, spinach, cos lettuce.

I don't expect anything, and anything we do get will be a bonus. Next year I'll have cold frames so I can bring everything on and plant out now, rather than plant seeds now. And there'll be less digging to do so I might be able to swallow some pride and make it up with Monty Don.

But it looks like I'm going to have to dig a third plot for more of nearly everything. To the left there is a thick stand of dog rose (now cut down) and I don't fancy grappling with all those roots. On the right is ground ivy land. But it has to be done (if only it would cool down - it is so hot......)

4 comments:

Petra said...

this looks great if you ask me! Fingers crossed!

Daniel said...

The patch looks just the job and stuff Monty Don. Anyway the best fertilizer is farmer's shadow.

KitYule said...

If the butterflies leave you any, nasturtiums are lovely in a salad, (flowers and leaves) and they're good in a stir fry too.

The Speaking Goat said...

I find nasturtium leaves are particularly good with ....
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Fray_Bentos_Steak_and_Kidney_Pie__5613683