Saturday 31 May 2008

Friday night 5

Pedi
has asked me to get a piccy of a haggis and cheese panini - so I asked around in the pub as to where I could find one - no-one could offer anything helpful - other than they'd make one up at the pub if I asked - but this feels like cheating. It did open up one of those 'great things I've done with a haggis' conversations though (please don't try claiming you've never had a 'great things I've done with haggis' conversation). The two that stick in my memory are haggis soup and haggis lasagne.

Haggis Soup
Apparently this soup, a creation of one of the pub regulars, once made it to the specials board of a pub in Finchley. The recipe is as follows - make a lentil soup. Add haggis. Serve. It sounds OK to me - could be one to try on those eternal winter nights.

Haggis Lasagne
This is stated to be good, if you and half of your street are incredibly hungry - like not eaten for two or three months. The recipe: Make lasagne, only use haggis instead of meat sauce.

Quite a lot of the men work offshore, normally 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, or even further afield. There was a guy there last night who'd been in Poland for a couple of months or more and was just back. He was depressed when he learned we had glorious weather in May - "That just means the rest of the summer will be rained off."

Great.


5 comments:

Petra said...

Ah, thanks for this, this is even better than a picture! Pretty hilarious! I'm embarrassed to admit though that,you guessed it, I've never had a "great things I've done with haggis" conversation. In fact, I don't think I ever actually had haggis. This may have to do with the fact that I've only spent one day in Scotland in my entire life, and that was for a student demo against Maggie Thatcher in Glasgow, where we were bussed in in the morning, and bussed back south in the late afternoon, without being given an opportunity to sample the local delights. Maybe that's a mute point, I was a vegetarian at the time anyway. And the more I think about it, the more I get the feeling that they must have served it every now and then at college, but that I didn't have it because I was getting the wimpy beans-and-rice or pasta-and-garlic- bread option. But truth be told, the mere mention of haggis is still enough to strike the fear of god into me and I'm full of admiration for you hardy lot dining on it up there. The haggis soup and lasagna actually sound less intimidating than the real thing by itself...

The Speaking Goat said...

I bet you can find haggis over there - but you might be better waiting until you or Ritesh are over here to try it (or take some back). Haggis is good! - it's a real winter warmer.

Would that be the poll tax demonstration in March 1990? I couldn't get there - was working (here - http://www.whithorn.com/archaeology.htm) - but a lot of friends went.

Petra said...

yes! that was it, the 1990 poll tax demo! How on earth do you remember this, when you didn't even go? I'm obviously one step closer to Alzheimer's than you are :).
But small world, eh?
So you're an archaelogist by training?

The Speaking Goat said...

I remember it because one of my pals went to court over non-payment - the poll tax was a big deal. I wanted to go to the demo and felt a bit of wimp because I had to work. And anyway who could forget the riots in London and the pompous indignation of the press because an'anarchist' put a traffic cone on the head of a statue of Churchill? Hilarious really.

As for pin-pointing that demo - well there weren't that many 'anti-Thatcher' demos - there was lots of stuff in the early 80's - CND, The Falklands War and the miners strike - but I don't reckon you're that old. You could have gone to the demos in Glasgow later in the Summer of 1990 - but after the riots in London in March I reckoned that was unlikely. It was an informed guess but I'm pleased I was right!

Archaeologist? - No, Biochemist.

KitYule said...

Haggis Pakora - outstanding combination and strangely right, somehow...