Thursday 8 May 2008

Jussi's pet


Another glorious day. It might seem boring that I keep mentioning the weather but really we have to appreciate it while it's here. This part of Scotland get some of the highest rainfall and strongest winds in the UK - and come the winter I'll be able to look back on these days and remind myself that it'll be alright in the spring!

Blue can expected tomorrow. It might be pink.

Jussi is away to Thurso on the weekly shop - I've been tending the veg patch this morning while it was still cool. (Am I mentioning the weather again?) I mean it's great being able to slip into Mediterranean mode - move veeeeery veeeeeery slowwwwwwwly - and the air is full of the rich heady coconut scent from the gorse which always reminds me of suntan lotion.

Speaking of food - we have a Rhubarb glut. Not enough yet to get the jam pans out, but I reckon it'll be soon.

Another constant source of fresh veg is Jussi's sprouts. She keeps 4 sets of seeds on the go all the time - our favourite is sprouted lentils - and my favourite way of eating them is with peanut butter and marmite sandwiches. Here's a plug for marmite. Dig the piccy of the boy!

Jussi's pet is currently the third source of home-grown dietary treats. She feeds it rye flour daily and then takes some to make fantastic sour-dough bread. There was a time when we thought we couldn't get rye flour up here and we were plotting a bulk buying internet raid, but fortunately we've been rescued by a supermarket giant in Thurso - but it was close. To be honest I prefer yer standard wholemeal wheat bread - but the sour dough is a treat cos it's just that little bit of variety - especially good with pickled herring.

Not very photogenic though eh?

No comments: