Thursday 7 August 2008

Wild Life Park


Ailsa is delighted by the state of the cabbage patch. Tickled with glee she comes out with all sorts of "Aw" "Cute" and "Cuddly" sort of noises. And I'm not allowed to pick all of them off....

Meanwhile my mum has sent me a collection of booklets on organic gardening. I read the one on slugs with great interest and discovered that slugs are useful and that there are carnivorous slugs that eat other slugs. The book is full of helpful hints about controlling slugs - but the message I took away is 'give up you'll never win'. Actually the coffee grinds seem to be doing the trick - I can't claim to be slug free, but I'm getting quite partial to the extra je ne sais quoi they add to lettuce salad.

We have a very rare species of bumble bee nesting in the garden.

The main cucumber plant now has three leaves - the biggest of which is almost as big as just a bit under half my thumb. But the dill isn't going to waste. A couple of nights ago I forgot to put a bag of frozen peas back in the freezer. So last night we had pea soup made with parsley and lots of dill from the garden. It was delish.

Jussi is away at the Black Isle show today. She had hoped to be there for a couple of days but Margo's mastitis put paid to that. I think she intends to spend buckets of money on things I'll turn my nose up at and say we don't need, and collect an Anglo Nubian milker and a kid. We about to drown in milk. And our diet will become goats cheese (omelette, pie, en croissant, con pan tomate, au naturelle, en croute, provencale, in vivo, you get the point). I might also attempt goats milk soap sometime down the line, but not for eating obviously.


I'm busy (well ok I'm not really - but I will be soon) tidying the house cos big sister Jen is coming to stay for a few days.....

No comments: