Wednesday 20 August 2008

Class

What the hell are we doing?

I've worried about this on and off for many many months. And I've been worrying about Why we are doing it. And what the consequences will be.


I was brought up to be proud of the family's working class routes (in a class war context - a very British habit I think). Dad's mum was a war widow (her husband and all his brothers were killed in the North Atlantic convoys) and brought up her children by doing piece work clothes repairs for the Co-op. Dad was a self-improver and betime I came along he was a successful paint chemist and I think our working class credentials were looking pretty thin. I went to a middle class school and benefited from a university education (though I never really felt I fitted in in either).

My sister has been doing some genealogy and uncovered some of the real horrors of our working class roots - from census returns showing tens of people packed into small terraced houses in late 19th/ early 20th century Hull to aged agricultural workers being left to die in Lincolnshire workhouses in the mid 19th century.


What would that 87 year man, who'd spent his life toiling in the fields, make of me throwing in the absolute luxury of being a Chief Executive and attempt to live the life he must have sorely wished he could pull himself out of? Would he understand my complaints of 'stress' and having no time for my family, and of wanting to feel a connection with my food and my existence? Or would he scorn me as a soft, self-indulgent and irresponsible 'don't-know-you're-born'? An idiotic dreamer.

And what will Ailsa and her children make of the move? It is incredibly difficult to rise out of poverty and yet Jussi and I seem to be happily condemning ourselves to it. How disrespectful of the toils of my ancestors - how unforgivable to our successors?


On the other hand, perhaps that 87 year old man, who doubtless spent his life doffing his cap to the masters, would utterly understand. Imagine having 12 acres to call your own, with your own house and everything. What else could he have asked for?


As for my motives - they are true. It is all those things noted above and more. It is not about making a statement - though I hope to do so incidentally. And our successors will judge for themselves. Jussi and I think that, once again, having 12 acres and a house will be a sign of true wealth in time to come. And, we hope, the spiritual wealth that comes from connectedness with the land, and being a part of a small community will be equally valued.

Inspiration for this post: Twee middle class
What would my grandfather think?
(and look at the preceding post for a great piccy of her grandfather)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Simon! Glad to be an inspiration. No need to torture yourself, though. You are doing the right thing as long as if feels right in your heart and your family happily goes along with the situation.

The BIG difference with your ancestor, is that you chose this way of life, whereas he didn't. Also, I assume you could always go back to being a CEO type if you wanted. This blog of yours is also a non negligible endeavor, and one that adds further meaning to your new life, and brings some to others.

Maybe part of your journey is bringing this new natural life of yours with the virtual world, helping with this:

http://lamarguerite.wordpress.com/2008/08/20/getting-biodiversity-onto-the-cultural-radar-screen/

The Speaking Goat said...

Thanks Marguerite - much appreciated. This blogging thing eh! It started as a way of letting friends follow our adventures and it's growing into something else altogether. I'm enjoying it but its hellish time consuming.

Richard said...

Hi Simon, don't think we ever met, but I used to work with Jussi at AIAI many years ago, so hi Jussi!

I am full of admiration for what you 2 have set out to do, and I wish I had the guts for something similar.

With us in the foothills, if not at the summit of Peak Oil, and too many stupid self interested governments around for anything to happen about tackling global warming, I think you will be sitting better than most when TEOTWAWKI comes around.

Good luck!

Richard

The Speaking Goat said...

Thanks Richard - Jussi remembers you and says Hi!

KitYule said...

Simon,

I believe that your only real obligation to your ancestors is to enjoy their legacy and pass it on to your successors.

You have all given yourselves a tremendous opportunity. It is an amusing irony that you have returned to an agrarian ideal but that doesn't make it the wrong choice.

When can I order some cheese?

Chris

The Speaking Goat said...

Thanks Chris!!

The cheeses Jussi is making just now is all short shelf-life stuff - so I don't think we should try posting it. (We couldn't sell it anyway - not having an approved dairy and all that).

Long time no hear from - how's tricks?

S

KitYule said...

I am having a great time, thanks.
Solfest was a riot (in a good way).
We had over 12,000 people and everything went well. Very hard work, though.
I think that we're going to scale down a bit next year - it's just too big.

Had a holiday in Skye with the lovely Sheilagh. Took over 650 photos - some of which are here.

Sheilagh's moving in too!

Incidentally, I've put together a wee DVD from the footage we (well, Ailsa mainly) shot - I'll post a copy up for you all.

Speak to you soon.
Chris

The Speaking Goat said...

Some really great piccies here Chris - but so any!

Looking forward to the CD - neither of our laptops could cope with the films Ailsa took on our camera.

Planning your return trip yet? I THINK WE NEED TO MEET SHEILAGH