Sunday 17 August 2008

Complementary planting my *rse (with a capital *)


The theory is that you plant nasturtiums by brassica and the cabbage white butterfly makes a bee line for the nasturtiums and you have happy cabbages.

Bollocks.

The practice is you plant nasturtiums by cabbages and said butterflies swarm to the cabbages. Those cabbages no where near the nasturtiums are fine.

The greatest success of the garden this year is chard. I'd never come across chard until I holidayed in Croatia a few years ago - but it's thriving here. Why don't Brits make more of this fantastic leaf (and stalk) vegetable? Maybe it's because chard is best served drowning, and I mean drowning in garlic.

Last night I made pasta with chard and tomato sauce, served, rather delectably, with dollops of goats milk crowdie. Tonight it will be chard and potato (and crowdie) moussaka. Well, when I say moussaka.....

No comments: