Wednesday 15 April 2009

Pavlovian deficit

Time was - when anything happened at the croft I'd dash off to try to blog it. The blog is as much a diary for myself as all the other other things it seems to have become. But it's been a bit busy and that reflex has worn off - and ironically, when there's too much happening I don't have the time to blog. A pity.

But here are some brief, incoherent, ramblings: - we've had visitors from Dunbar, Edinburgh and about to receive some more Dunbar visitors before welcoming more from elsewhere soon. Clear as mud.

The milking machine hasn't appeared yet - but Jussi is getting better and milking. But we need that machine. Still hand feeding the goat kids.

Next time I drive around and notice that lots of farmers/crofters are doing something I'm going to take the hint and go do it too - unthinkingly, Pavlovianly. In the last couple of months I've seen scores of people out fixing fences. In the last couple of days I've spent scores of hours chasing scores of sheep off our land.

The developers of Ronseal antique* wood stain varnish paid too much attention to The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist - because you cannae do a good job with it. A tad too literal a translation of 'it does what it sez on the tin'.

The veg patch is coming along - but there's seriously more to be done. Somehow the demands of goats usurp the demands of veg.

My hands are suffering from being washed too much. But I have some neem soap which seems to be helping.

Rambling and incoherent enough? I'll try to get back to witty and observational soon - after I've caught up on sheep.....I mean sleep.


*In this sense I'm equating 'antique' with 'Victorian' - I don't mean to besmirch the entire history of homo sapiens.

4 comments:

Lulu Stader said...

Thanks, Simon, and see you all soon!

Helen and I will meet in Dingwall and will go for a quick shop there, so we'll need a shopping list from you guys nearer the time. And/or we can just bring some (veggie) food and cook to give you a break while we're there...

'ousiggen' to 'sign off' in a remote North-Friesian dialect

Rebecca said...

I've been ringing this wee bell for days now and nothing! Hope all's well and your enjoying all your lovely visitors.

'imstoxf' trying to say, I think I might be the teensiest bit intoxicated on your fine ale - when you are.

KitYule said...

Simon,
I think you do a cracking job keeping the blog rolling. Sheilagh and I are just back from a week in Skye. The three of you were often in our thoughts as we were on the Bhatairnis peninsula in a small crofting community called Geary. All around we saw people making a go of it - keeping a mix of livestock and taking on other jobs, too. It was inspiring to see. As we walked over the moors to the headland, we crossed countless runs, rigs and shielings. There was hardly any land that wasn't used - right to the cliff's edge.

I wish we could have come the extra miles to see you in Bettyhill. We are going to come up when we can but it'll have to be in the Summer holidays. Sorry to be so slow, mind you, it looks like you're having plenty of visitors so I don't feel too bad!

It sounds like you need a sheepdog yourself. I know you have a lot on but are you not tempted?

Anonymous said...

Guests, sheep, broken fences, sunny weather, etc...... who cares? None of it excuses you for such a massive blogging deficit.
It might take me three or four days/weeks to drop in again, but I expect to see far more up to date information when I do.
Consider yourself told.

'Exessain' - the exasperation felt when one realises they are surrounded by madmen.

MTB