Tuesday 29 July 2008

Fences


One of the people who have promised us goats visited on Sunday - they seemed happy enough with the set-up we have here, and had lots of useful suggestions about how to improve things. It looks as though we are on for the goats and on Sunday we'll make the 8+ hour round trip to Aberdeenshire to pick up 2 saanens and 4 british alpines.

Unsurprisingly the fencers haven't come up with the goods but we have 200m of electric fencing as back up. There's four wires here and as we were putting in the bottom level I was saying to Ailsa that I should really cut back the undergrowth before we lay this wire - but I didn't.

Then I decided that I needed to cut back the undergrowth (which otherwise shorts the fence) and got out the strimmer. I would say I was almost 1/4 of the way round before the strimmer caught the fence and mangled it. Then I had to dismantle the strimmer to get all the wire out of it, and splice the shredded fencing back together.


Note to self: - I really don't have to be quite so completely stupid. I knew it would happen and it did and it took an hour or so to undo the damage caused.

No comments: