Monday 19 January 2009

Sunrise 08:48, Sunset 16:07

All those threats of weather - well it never really happened.  I mean it was windy and all, but nothing like as bad as we'd feared.  But Sunday morning saw a new type of weather - something I don't think I've seen before and I think I'll call it driven frost.   A very strong, dry wind, blue skies and streaks of black ice seemingly driven in on the winds.  Strange monkey.

We are finding the winter tough.  The cold, the wet and piercing cold, is draining; but it is the wind that that niggles yer inner sense of calm and really does the damage.  Combine the two and it saps.  It saps our sense of vision and purpose and every now and then we'll look back and realise that days have passed without achieving anything.

But our spirits remain high.  There's progress - plans for the house have been submitted - we seem to be getting closer to getting the grazing rights we are entitled to (I could write a book on these adventures) and things like heating plans, and wind turbine plans are beginning to come together.  The goats are doing surprisingly well and all in all things are good. 

The consultancy work I've been doing is enjoyable and we're extremely grateful for the money - but it has it's negative side too - I find it difficult to do that work and maintain vision of life here.  And it took too many days to pull myself back here after the work I did over Christmas.  Of course Jussi is affected by my slumps as much as I am by hers.  The best way out is for us to attack some job, together, that's been hanging over us - and last week we started on building a lean to for the stables - something to give us a bit more flexibility during and post kidding in March.

Jussi is now bouncing around with renewed vigour and vim - as infectious as the slumps are - and it feels like things are moving again.  

We have two sets of visitors coming up in the next few weeks, and another making good noises - and this definitely helps on the morale front.  Just the mere thought of it provides hope and motivation.  But most of our friends are a very long way away - and getting them up here is a big ask.  Fortunately, many of the visitors we've had are lining themselves up for repeat visits - heartening by their physical presence as well as for the vote of confidence - people who visit like it!

Sometimes our resolve is sapped by the need to make decisions.  To say we sit like rabbits in headlights in the face of these dilemmas instills too much of a sense of dynamism.  It's more like sitting in front of a boulder; staring at it, wishing it would roll away, but doing nothing about it.

There  are two opposing but equally valid approaches to these situations.

First is reminiscent of advice a friend gave me when I was appointed as a Chief Exec.  She said - "You'll be confronted by the need to make hundreds of decisions, and you'll rarely have the information you feel you need to make the right choice.  Just decide anyway - hopefully you'll be right 80% of the time - a far better option than inaction and procrastination."  That is some of the best advice I've ever had and it stood me in good stead in the adrenaline fueled world of work. It's harder to apply when there's less urgency.

Second, and antithetical, is to accept that the inability to act is a product of the lack of necessity to act.  The time for that decision has not yet come - let the boulder sleep!  We spend a lot of time looking too far ahead and trying to make decisions we don't need to make yet.  Let it lie, its time will come.  You have to consciously realise this though, and consciously put it away - otherwise it just sits and eats you from within.  And to reach that level of consciousness I find I have to sit down and think - 'What do I really want to achieve, what do I really want to do?' .  If that doesn't remove the decision, go to the first way and decide anyway.

There's no great insights here - but even the obvious gets obscured by falling spirits.  But just now Jussi the Vim is bouncing around behind me, impatient to get out there and do some foundations so I'll crawl out from under me arse and go do it!


8 comments:

Jussi said...

let's go and dig!

Anonymous said...

I hear you on this one ... There are some situations where the first approach ('better a wrong decision than no decision' as a colleague used to put it) pays off and some where the 'we'll cross that bridge when we come to it' approach is better. My problem is telling the two apart. When I was at work, with lots of other people involved, the former seemed to be more common. Now things are slower and more dependent on just me, I'm trying to train myself to lean towards the latter.

None of this helps at 4am with the brain doing its hamster-wheel act though!

The Speaking Goat said...

Thanks for the comment D-Grunt.

At least I've lost that 4am thing - although maybe it's been displaced by a tendency to watch TV late into the night sometimes. I mean a snooker final?!?!

But a cure for that 4am thing - get up, eat, get a hot drink - go sit outside with your drink, in your jammies + raincoat if needed. And stay there for at least 1/4 an hour. You'll get frozen to the bone and when you get back into bed you'll be so grateful of the warmth that sleep will hurtle itself at you like a drugged up 100m sprinter.

Works for me anyway.

Jussi said...

A friend in Dunbar once said "Oh no, I don't do that 4am thing anymore - it doesn't work!". I took her advice and gave it up too. Mostly.

I do believe that many problems solve themselves and decisions and solutions come to me, given time. Especially for the big things. Still - no excuse for indecision and being lazy about decisions. Ho hum.

Anonymous said...

thanks - I shall try the hypothermia cure for insomnia next time.

Graham M said...

I've just heard that you moved to The Land of the Goat. Great news I'll be logging to hear your adventures. I've had to come back down to look after a project but I'll be back up before the planting season. BTW it's Graham ( Rocket)

The Speaking Goat said...

Graham! Wow - good to hear from you. Your message sent me scuttling off to your website and then to blipfoto.com - Excellent site - I'd never come across it before.

By chance I fell on a couple of Edinburgh blippers - great to play spot the location.

Good luck with the planting - any big plans this year?

Graham M said...

We've got the mega greenhouse - my pride and joy, put in a well and we're heating mostly with Forestry Commis. logs and bringing the house back to it orig state, new wooden linings, nice windows and insulation etc so still a lot to do. I'm working on the Blipfoto project. It started life as a wee in-house project but it's grown like Topsy. So we'll see were it goes. You should join. it would be great to see The Land of Goats. You can see me at A Dog's Dinner - how apt.r