Thursday 29 January 2009

Construction

We need to build a lean-to on the stables to give us a little extra room when it comes to kidding.  It's taken a long time to decide how to create the extra space but we've finally settled on this solution and work has started clearing the soil for the floor and walls.

The lean-to will be built on a slope and most of it will be directly onto bedrock - these pose their own problems not generally covered in the reference books, how to guides and web discussion fora we are turning to for advice.  We are also getting much needed help and moral support from Christian.

Of course it is the woman of the house who is in charge of all this - given that I'm useless when it comes to building things (I'm very good at destroying things though).  I know there is lots of hard work to do and I am waiting for instruction and direction but we're at a bit of a frustrating hiatus - not quite sure what needs to be done, and what order to do it in.  I want to get moving.

Meanwhile I'm looking at polytunnels.  There are lots of criteria to determine what polytunnel to get.  My original thinking was to get as big as I could possibly manage - if you're going to all that trouble may as well make it big trouble (and big rewards).  Having looked in detail at the excellent First Polytunnels website my ambition is shrinking - maybe it's better to start with a small one and learn what's involved before going for the drive-in model like.

But we've got ourselves into a situation where there's two construction jobs needing to be done at the same time and with similar urgency - although of course animal welfare has to take precedence.  Bad planning.  And there's a million other things to do as well of course.

No comments: