Friday 3 July 2009

Kid liver pate

Not the Hannibal Lecter recipe obviously. This is in honour of Jussi who found six 250gr kilner jars under our bed. Amazing eh? A present from Helen apparently (yes that Helen, no not that one).

As they are gently simmering on their bain marie here is the recipe - no idea if it's worked yet of course - but this is what I did. Most recipes mix liver with a fair amount of meat. We didn't have any meat but there was about 250g of cheap bacon offcuts so I used that.

Anyway - put about 200gr of butter to a small pan and on a low heat fry a couple of onions and a load of garlic.

Take your livers - two in this case, and finely chop discarding any tubing. Take your hearts - three in this case - and try to extricate as much meat from them as you can - which really isn't much - but as I said in the intro we were short of meat. Take the bacon and finely chop - making sure to discard fibrous bits.

Make bread crumbs out of about 6 inches of baguette.

Put all of this in a big bowl along with a good couple of glugs of fino sherry (I found recipes using cognac, port or sherry - I found the sherry first), a couple of slodges of milk, a good wee shake of dried sage, and of dried thyme, a wee shake of mixed spice and of white pepper cos you can't be bothered wandering round the house AGAIN trying to find the bloody pepper mill AGAIN. And salt.

Whizz. Recipes variously suggest mincing, zapping in a food processor or even forcing through a sieve - frankly a ridiculous idea. All we have is a soup whizzer and surprisingly it worked a treat.

You now have a pink sludge. Some recipes suggest tasting it at this stage by frying a little and checking for seasoning. I couldn't be arsed - I mean it was hot. But the sludge had a pleasant enough aroma.

Decant into very clean kilner jars, leaving a good gap at the top. This recipe nicely filled six jars. Put in a bain marie, bring to a simmer with the tops of the jars loosely on and simmer for I'm not quite sure how long - but I reckon I'll leave em for about an hour. Allow to cool slightly. Tightly close and bingo is your uncle. Should keep in the fridge for a month or so, and many recipes suggest it'll freeze well too (but personally I'm not sure about trying to freeze kilner jars).

Most pate recipes say you should weight the pate down as it cools. I might do this if I can figure out a way of doing it - but at the moment I can't.

Fingers crossed!

No comments: