Saturday 4 July 2009

Astonishment

Success. I can't begin to tell you how amazed I am. It's not like a pate you might buy in the shops - it lacks that dense creaminess - more akin, perhaps, to that souvenir jar you pick up in the Dordogne - and it sure the hell is tasty. Yum scrum.

Jussi, never one to shy from suggesting an improvement, thinks I've used too much sage and maybe should have added more salt. But hey! I'm thrilled to bits.

For the record - it sat in the bain marie for nigh on two hours. Recipes suggest it is cooked when the pate comes away from its container and floats in its own fat, mine never reached that stage, probably because there wasn't enough fat in there - and this might explain the lack of creaminess. Be warned! The cooking pate expands - I had to weight it down to be able to close the lid (I felt it was important not to have the pate in contact with the lid). I pushed the pate down with the base of a sterilised pint glass, then wiped the rim of the jars clean before allowing to cool for twenty minutes and then closing the jars.

Eeeh grand!

2 comments:

townmouse said...

a bit of melted butter on top of the pate should help seal it from the air (and can be stirred in to add to the creaminess when you eat it). But you probably knew that

The Speaking Goat said...

Ah yes - that would have been a good idea. They are now hermatically sealed in air tight jars - so I'll leave them like that - but it would have been a good idea...