Tuesday 11 November 2008

The romance of Highland Homeworking

So here I am working away. Fully layered with thermals and hot water bottle (the best cure for cold feet). Is this because I'm too mean to put the heating on? Not really - there is a panel heater on (low - just to take the sharpest of Jack Frosts teeth out) - but the heater doesn't really help - there's enough thermal mass in the furniture and walls to keep everything nicely refrigerated - unless the heating is on for a long time - but that would be wasteful.

Of course when we've rebuilt our house such scenes will be no more. Our wonderful renewable energy powered heating system in super-insulated house - everything will be toasty. So far we haven't managed to get the plans completed. They've been almost finished for a long long time, but some things just take so long - no matter how many kittens you throw down the telephone line.

I'm plugged in to iTunes - another great cure for cold feet - and I have to hand it to Apple - Genius is genius. My current listening is based around Underworlds cowgirl (Irish pub in Kyoto mix).

The work is assessing grant applications from the voluntary sector on behalf of a grant giving body wanting to promote social enterprise and environmental initiatives. My job is to undertake a detailed assessment to help guide the panel of the grant giving body. Sometimes I find myself being quite damning about these applications and I worry that sometimes this is more to do with my physical discomfort than the quality of the application. But of course I take care to check and assess what I'm writing and to be as fair as possible.


When I had proper job I wrote or oversaw hundreds of grant applications and I know how time consuming they are, and how frustrating funders can be. They ask stupid questions, are very poor at giving you an understanding of what they want to know, and don't give enough room on grant application forms to explain anything properly. On the other side of the fence my biggest gripe now is the sweeping statement. Things akin to 'give us the money and the world will be a better place'. Ok - but why, how, when, how will you know.....
Ho hum.

No comments: