Monday 2 June 2008

Self Control

Of course Daniel is right - it is all about self control. But fuckit I haven't come all this way to exercise self control have I? The beer is fabulous. Very crisp, hoppy and refreshing. Ailsa and I went for a run in the van (we have to run the van about once a week to keep the battery charged - well it's an excuse anyway). We went to Strathy Point, Melvich and Portnaskerray.

The highlight of the trip was Ailsa taking her shoes off at the top of the cliff - one shoe inevitably rolled down the grassy cliff and stopped, tantalisingly, at the edge of a 40 ft drop - I had to use my best commandful dad voice to stop her running after it. I think I stayed remarkably calm under the circumstances - she was out of reach and she'd started to run after it when from my inner recesses arose commandful dad voice and halted her. When I caught up with her she insisted she could retrieve said shoe - in socks on wet grass. No chuck. I sent her to safety and stared down the precipice wondering if it was worth orphaning Ailsa for the sake of a shoe.

It's all about risk assessment innit? Likelihood of risk, consequences and things to do to mitigate against the risk. Well, the fact that it was her school shoe conquered all and I brought it safely back. It's nice when people are pleased to see you - like when my head resurfaced over the lip of the cliff - Ailsa's face was a picture of delight.

So I deserved the beer when we got back. I think it is as well that I did - cos it made me go back and check the calculation I'd done for working out the amount of priming sugar to add. I'd got it hopelessly wrong so I added more.

I wont touch it again until tonight maybe. But I'll definitely offer it tomorrow when key neighbour comes round to discuss fencing. (Boundary fencing divvy! really!)

3 comments:

KitYule said...

Trickle Charger £5 - bargain. Mind you the engine likes being run every now and then.

The Speaking Goat said...

Nice one Chris - never come across these before - do they work?

KitYule said...

Check out this Maplin Q&A They are more like a tenner when you look at the P&P but I think they're probably worth it. Car Starter batteries are designed to give a big burst of energy and they don't like being flattened. Their plates are thinner and they buckle when they drain completely - I don't understand how but that's what I was told. It is definitely worth running the engine regularly but it should be run until the temperature rises in the engine - otherwise the condensation in the exhaust leaves water to lie in the pipe, rusting it from the inside.

BTW, leave that beer alone...