Saturday 14 June 2008

Burning issues

The problem with the Irish referendum, and the whole issue around the European constitution and stuff - is that no one understands it No-one really seems to be selling the benefits and this makes the no vote inevitable - and the no campaigners can dredge up all kinds of issues with Europe, in the main not related to the constitution, making the no vote even more certain. This is a lack of leadership and poor leadership is rife across the democratic world (as far as I can see, and I confess that isn't really very far - but why should such detail stop me from making sweeping statements?).

And for all that it smacks of being vainglorious (whichever definition of that you choose (a reference to this - but I can't make it easy for you)), I admire David Davis for his stance over the 42 day detention and I believe he is right to try to generate a proper debate about freedom.

And then there's this madness.

Above all of this is the question of how many tanks you need to destroy on Wii Play to get a gold medal. I managed 79 during the week and still no gold medal. I'll battle on, selflessly, of course. And I shall prevail. But it is getting a tad time-consuming.

No comments: