Thursday 5 June 2008

Names

There's a neurosis I developed when I was a chief executive - it was a neurotic fear of upsetting people. This phobia developed because I found it incredibly easy to upset people - by saying something remarkably innocent - but then having a tormented member of staff, or usually their manager, at my door expressing disbelief at my crass insensitivity.

That is why this blog tends not to name people. Where people are named it's because the name itself adds something to the story, or because I've got careless. When I understand the local relationships better I'll perhaps become more confident.

We've just had a meeting with our neighbour discussing fencing. We got on to general chat and we were asking about who could help to renovate our outbuildings. The advice included speaking to: "Turkey", "Heep" or "Loppy". With so many people sharing only 2 surnames, and a general conservatism over the choice of first names, nicknames are essential. But it does somewhat baffle the incomer. Neighbour said "Loppy" - we gave him that look to say "Loppy" isn't a useful piece of intelligence for us, and he said, "Ah sorry, Angus, Angus Crow", Jussi wrote it down "You'll find him in the phone book under Mackay."

Nicknames are one thing, but multi-layered nicknames add another dimension altogether.

No comments: