Friday 19 March 2010

Rambutan


Milk production leaves a number of by-products - including unwanted goat kids. We sell as many as we can - as live animals, but occasionally we have to get rid of them in, erm, other ways.

So Jussi took Rambutan off to the abattoir near Wick this week. She stayed with him to settle him after the drive, calmed him with honest words said in a comforting voice and saw him drop as the dastardly deed was done.

It's a tough thing to do - even hardened old timers say so. But he had a happy life, and when it came he was happy enough as he was lead away - he had no idea what was coming.

Here is a picture of him at less than a month old. A cutey and a favourite.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd have to become a vegetarian if I had to provide for my family, or just shoot wild things.

We're about to depart on 4 weeks to Singapore & Perth WA to see Marcus & Keith respectively and I'm worried for our wee Calico Ryukin goldfish, 'Kelly', who'll be fed by a neighbour. I'll be a blubbering mass if she floats belly up while we're away, so gawd-nose what I'd be like trying to drive to the abertoir with a goat kid that I've reared for a year.

Here's to Rambutan and may he provide great curry.

MTB

Word verification:
'adiaceh' - to query how to pronounce some of these words.