Tuesday 2 December 2008

Vision

Had dinner in Thurso last night with Mike from my Runge course (a leadership programme run by the Work Foundation). Very pleasant. We spent a bit of time revisiting the lessons of Runge. For me the most important aspect of the course was the importance of vision in any leadership role.

It's very much taken for granted how important vision is when driving a car. On the way home it was snowing and I couldn't see a thing.
Bendy up and down deserted roads scattered with sheep (alive, surprisingly) eating the salt from the gritter lorries. White on white on white on white. (1) the road, 2) the surrounding land, 3) the sheep, 4) the vortex of snow driving into you).

I like driving into snow - there's something wierdly trippy about how the snow comes at you. The addition of random wooly mammals heightened the experience considerably. They just appeared out of nothing giving you the thrill of deciding to (a) drive into it - risking an unhappy ending for all concerned, (b) swerve, risking descent down some unseen precipice (c) brake - risking going into a skid (and combining the effects of (a) and (b) or (d) swearing VERY loudly and going catatonic. I found this latter course to be strangely effective.

Anyway - steady and slow I got home safely and only went slippy slidey on the very last part of the journey. Weeeeeeeeee!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Simon
Glad you got back safely, I am up in Dounreay again in January but if its snowing I promise nott o make you drive to Thurso!
Take care
Mike