Sunday 7 December 2008

Prolific

It's been a bit of a funny week - strangely average and uneventful. No rabid weather events as we'd constantly been promised (except for the snow on Monday - but it was supposed to get worse than that).

I was out visiting and learnt the history of a local woman who married, had five kids, husband died and she re-married and had five more kids. How did they manage?

Meanwhile the beer is bottled, Xmas presents bought (the wonders of the internet eh?), Xmas cookies are in progress, and lots of other little jobs have been done. My mum has sent me her Xmas pudding recipe, given to her by her mum in 1955 - but I've nothing to cook it in so I can feel a trip to the charity shops next week....

And so life goes on.

Meanwhile capitalism isn't looking like it's getting any better (especially in the UK) and the climate negotiations in Poznan don't look as though they are going to do anything anything like spectacular enough to have the sort of impact we need. In my opinion (did you ask? - I'm sure you did) - we need a seriously heavy carbon tax, perhaps coupled with personal tax allowances. There's an idea floating around that all the monies levied through a carbon tax is redistributed back to people on a per capita basis. Heavy carbon users become net losers and low users get rewarded, Sounds good to me.

Scotland is boasting the most ambitious carbon legislation in the world and continuing to invest in the expansion of airports and roads. Ludicrous - I mean just plain stupid - stunningly so. And very depressing.


Is there any hope? Well, I hope to finish that raised bed for the fruit trees this week. That's hope enough for me for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ed Milliband appears to be calling for a protest movement to rise up and force him to act, if I've understood his comments in the Guardian all right. Bit of a head-scratcher, that one. But I'm game, if that's what it takes. Where shall we start?