Monday 15 June 2009

Bug Hunting




For some reason only known to those who know, the school was closed today. So Ailsa and I set off on a bug hunt. It was quite a walk - four hours or so - and we saw lots of bugs and flowers and lochs and grass and - yeah yeah you get the idea.

So here is our little picture gallery - most of these are in focus - we took many others but as we approach the middle of the year it's too warm for the little blighters to keep still.

Bombus Terrestris - the buff tailed bumble bee - just about the commonest bumble bee there is.

A fly. Ailsa has a special little bug collection kit but generally it was easier to get the piccy if the bug was on natural surfaces, like this intricately woven fabric of our rucksack.









Fungi infecting nettles. All the nettles we saw had these growths on them - which might be the rust fungus Puccinia urticata - but what do I know.
















Pooh. Don't know what - thought it might be an otter, but it doesn't seem to look like the otter pooh commonly found on the wideworldweb so my guess it's something else.

We also saw lots of small grass hoppers - impossible to get piccies of them, a dragon fly thing, ditto and countless butterflies, some unusual looking ones too - but they all insisted on fluttering off when they saw a camera.




6 comments:

The Speaking Goat said...

I mean just how crap is that formatting - honestly I tried!

Anonymous said...

It looks like wildfowl crap, goose?

Nick said...

Looks exactly like some crap we saw while out on a bike ride recently (I'm talking about the picture, not your layout), which my wife insisted was goose crap - though how she knows is beyond me.

Jo said...

Great photo's, especially the fly, which shows it's wings in great detail. Hope Ailsa enjoyed the bug hunting.

Lulu Stader said...

Yep, I reckon it's goose, too. And don't ask me how I know.

The Speaking Goat said...

OK - I think we've agreed - it's goose pooh.

And Jo - I think the next challenge is to get a picture of a fly where you can see the reflection of me and the camera on its shiny back. Shouldn't be too difficult? !*!*!*