Wednesday 27 May 2009

Gloryless days

Ah - it's raining - I mean seriously like. Must be school sports day again. The garden needs a good watering so I don't mind but I'm going to feel sorry for all those drowned rats this afternoon.

Meanwhile a couple of kids (the goat type) are distinctly under the weather. Reluctantly we've put them on antibiotics.

There's a real tension between the softy rosy eyed environmentalist side of us that says antibiotics should only be used when there's a very real and obvious need - and the more chemically orientated that says turbo-syringe anything that moves at the slightest sign of trouble. I err towards the latter (but by no means in the extreme), especially where the kids are concerned, Jussi to the former. Hopefully we've got the balance about right - but I wholly understand how some intensive systems get carried away with antibiotics.

This of course only goes to show that intensive farming is wrong and that people should be prepared to pay more for their food so that producers can afford to put animal/environmental welfare higher up their list of priorities. And when I say pay more for your food I mean pay way more - I mean cripes! - have you seen the state of our business plan?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Simon. I have just found your blog and was very interested because we did pretty much the same lifestyle change as you in December 2006 (the day before xmas eve to be exact!). Your comments about the cold, the rain, and more rain, and more rain plus wind, were very familiar. Also, having to travel many many miles to a supermarket, or get a mortgage in order to shop at the local shop. Oh yes, it's all so familiar! Lynda

The Speaking Goat said...

Thanks Lynda,
But it's not all like that is it - I mean there's all the glorious sunny days and time to relax and just soak up being alive!
Your message is enticing - where are you? How are you getting on?