Monday 4 May 2009

Fascist drills cabbages and tyred courgettes

Last April was cold and very wet. We'd just got here and were spending our time trying to organise the cottage, and I was breaking my back breaking new clods in the veggy garden.The April just gone has been stunningly warm(ish) and dry. Our lives have been dominated by goats and kid goats and I've been rushing about trying to do all those spring veggy garden things. So far May looks like it's going to be much cooler and wetter - so I'm pleased I've put so much energy into the garden - even though it's been a bit of a slog doing that and all the other things.

So at the risk of becoming a gardening blog here is a quick update on the latest ventures.

The top piccy shows an old tractor tyre which I've filled with top soil overlaid with compost. I've planted courgettes around the yellow things and hope to get two thriving courgette plants. Ridiculous of course - but I'm hoping that if the summer is warm and dry enough the tyre will keep the soil warm enough for the courgettes. If they can get a hold, courgettes are very productive and the only flaw in the plans is that 'if'.

Also in that piccy is a new bed I opened to get the top soil for the tyre. And in there I've planted fennel. Fennel is an Italian favourite - and therefore obviously suited to the Northern Scottish climate. What am I thinking of? Really! But one day I came home from the garden centre with a packet of fennel seeds so I've got to try them huh?

Under that is a very dull piccy of a brassica patch. Purple sprouting broccoli and erm minicole cabbage and brussels sprouts - I think.....

Then we have the drill. There were two of these old seeds drills kicking around and I've hauled them up into the garden to be used as carrot beds. I've filled them with a sand/compost mix. One is Ailsa's - with rainbow carrots, spring onions and lettuce, and one is mine with Nantes carrots and garlic. If I can keep the beds watered we should get good carrots....as for the garlic - another impulse buy - everyone seems to have planted their garlic over the winter but on the packet it said you could plant them up to May.



And as evidence that humans tend to become more right wing as they grow older, the final piccy shows creeping facist tendencies - I mean planting things in strict rows delineated by string - with the spacing between the rows actually measured! Oh Anarchist streak where art thou? Unfortunately - planting things in strict rows is a whole lot easier to manage and saves a lot of work in the long run. So, from top, left to right, we have leeks, parsnip, lettuce, garlic, pak choi, spinach, chard, parsnips. But the big question is what colour should I choose for my gardening uniform?

Also planted in the tree bed are a load of peas and beans. Highly speculative - but for some reason seeds packets always have hundreds of seeds and I'd rather plant them than save them till next year.

End of gardening blog.



9 comments:

townmouse said...

OK, I'll bite - what are the yellow things?

So far I've resisted measuring out my rows and have done my 'straight' lines by eye ... a rather wandering one, it seems

The Speaking Goat said...

The yellow things are bits of land drain cut to about 4 inches long. The previous owner was renowned for his carrots (oh stoppit) and I think he grew carrots in them. I use them as markers and as slug/mouse deterents - they seemed to work last year, I used them on the brassicas (ie planting seeds inside them) - but this year I'll try to get round to removing them before the plants get too large...

I'm sure if you dug a few holes in neighbouring arable fields you'd eventually find some lengths you could chop up - the farmer wouldn't mind.......NO! I was joking

But what colour gardening uniform?

But the colour of the uniform?

townmouse said...

could you hold a poll? Only I warn you, if your readers are anything like mine it will be British Racing Green.

Um, tartan?

Jo said...

Yep, I'll vote for tartan too!

I fancy having a go at rainbow carrots. Must make a mental note to look out for some seeds.

Have you lined the tractor tyre with anything? I read somewhere that apparently chemicals can seep out into your crops. I saw Bob Flowerdew planting spuds into tyres once though and he didn't line them with anything.

The Speaking Goat said...

Tartan - great!

I've not lined the tyres - did think about it but at the end of the day I'm too lazy. It's a very old tyre which could mean all the bad things have leached out - or it could mean it's reached the perfect point at which all the bad things will leach out. I guess I'll not find out until (or if) I grow any killer courgettes.

The Speaking Goat said...

Oh and rainbow carrots - good with kids. Could make for a very pretty bath.

Jo said...

Hmmmm, just what I was thinking. Anything to keep the kids interested!

The Speaking Goat said...

Yip! You could always try Harvest Moon on Nintendo DS....oh I guess that's not the point...

Jo said...

I'm trying to get them out of the habit of playing computer games. I won't let them see your reply!
I must stop referring to them as 'kids' on your blog. Could get confusing, ha ha.