Monday 24 November 2008

Philosophy fry up

It's a very nice day today. Little wind and no rain or snow. I can't claim it's warm but warmth means nothing when you're being active anyway (most of the time - remind me to write a post about hunter's reflex some day). So I've been out at last, trying to finish that raised bed for the fruit trees, digging holes and wheel barrowing - hard work - oxygen gasping stuff.

Why?

I came across this quote somewhere - can't remember where but it went something like:

Live each day as if you'll die tomorrow. Farm each day as if you'll live forever.

I find this quite inspiring. The improvements we can make on this little croft are so small, so minutely incremental that it's easy to wonder why and avoid things cos, well really it aint gonna make much difference is it?

Then I came across this (here):

A quote from the Bhagavad Gita, an epic Hindu poem:

“To action alone hast thou a right and never at all to its fruits; let not the fruits of action be thy motive; neither let there be in thee any attachment to inaction.”

I find this one quite challenging, though I do understand it in the context of trying to make changes to avert climate change.

But this is just pure madness isn't it? (here):

“Thank God every morning when you get up that you have something to do which must be done, whether you like it or not. Being forced to work, and forced to do your best, will breed in you temperance, self-control, diligence, strength of will, content, and a hundred other virtues which the idle never know.” - Charles Kingsley (1819 - 1875)

I object to being forced to work - to do things I don't want to do, but I am content with doing unpleasant things because they are contributing to a bigger picture. I think there's a big difference.

10 comments:

Petra said...

Nice quotes! I like the idea of being process-oriented rather than always result-oriented, makes for a big difference in attitude.

On a different note, we've been wondering over here how all the physical work you've been doing has been affecting your health? Ritesh is a researcher in Public Health, so of course he's wondering what the measurable outcome of such a drastic change in lifestyle might be, both physically and mentally...would love to hear your thoughts!

The Speaking Goat said...

Thanks for the comment Pedi!

"measurable outcomes" is a bit challenging but here goes: losing weight a bit, but losing fat yes (about 2 inches from the waist), gaining muscle. Feeling more relaxed? Definitely - sleeping better, better relationship with Jussi and Ailsa. And that sense of eternal fatigue has gone.

Happier? Yes - but it's not clear cut. I'm spending more time with me (whereas before I would be worrying about work) and that feels good. But in Dunbar we had a well established circle of great friends - here it's not there yet and still feels a long way off.

On the whole my diet has improved - I eat less, and eat less animal and more pulses. But less fresh stuff as well. Caffeine intake is about the same (maybe a bit less) but alcohol consumption has plummetted.

I was warned a few years ago about high blood pressure - but I never let the doctor follow up. I doubt that's gone altogether but I do feel better so it's probably improved. But I'll not let a doctor near me to find out.

That's about as measurable as I can get! I'll happily be guinea pig if Ritesh wants to come over and cook for us for a couple of months....

Anonymous said...

Charles Kingsley is so right. I've been trying for years to think of something that Ferg should have to do every morning.
Nice glasses.
Mike the Bike.

Daniel said...

is it worth it? that makes me think about Robert the Bruce and the spider.

The Speaking Goat said...

Is what worth it Daniel? And what has that spider to do with anything?

The Speaking Goat said...

Thanks for the card Mike

Daniel said...

Since we are in a philosophy fry up, let me explain my train of thought.

The spider illustrates to us how very small things can set in motion momentus events. What I am saying is that every spider counts, I take this further to propose that everything we do can have value and importance.

The Speaking Goat said...

Daniel,

Ok - good, I agree - but is what worth it?

Petra said...

Leaving spiders aside and returning to health, sounds like it's definitely worth it! Ritesh is mighty disappointed you're not keeping a spreadsheet of your changing cholesterol and blood pressure levels along with a ton of other variables, but if you ask me, a lift of that sense of eternal fatigue you mention is worth a reduced circle of friends and limited availability of tropical fruits and such - no need to collect data to put in a graph. Ritesh is terrified of the cold, btw, but perhaps he could be persuaded to stop by one summer :) For now, it looks like we may be moving to Mumbai rather than London next year, but you never know...

The Speaking Goat said...

You'll get good curries in Mumbai...