Tuesday 4 November 2008

Peaty soil vs soily peat

I'm trying to prepare a bed for a few fruit trees bestowed upon me by Changeworks when I left.

The problem is that the soil isn't deep enough, it's too windy, and the soil is too acid. So I'm building an epic. A raised bed to shame and intimidate all other raised beds. The mother of all raised beds.

Shifting the earth to build a raised bed is always proper graft. But this over-optimistic moron has decided to use soil from bog at the bottom of the main field (this bog is referred to as 'the loch' by a a lady who grew up on the croft). It's a moronic decision because wet soil is heavy soil, it's far closer to peat than soil anyway, and - and this is the really important point - it's over 200 metres away. Carrying all that soil barrow-load by barrow-load up from 'the loch' is some task let me tell you.

Still, when it's done, and limed, and manured, and dug over, we'll have a bed for six or so fruit trees, reasonably sheltered and in years to come we'll be able to feast on the three or four apples that'll begrudgingly brave the wild windy wet. (It's important to have a vision innit).

But I can't help wondering if it'd be better to burn the soil I'm bringing up - it really is something closer to peat - but how do you tell? Oh - and I may be digging a death trap.

It's supposed to be a pond, and some of the peat/soil clarty cloggy stuff is being heaped by the pond to provide for a stand of willows. It'll be lovely obviously - I mean goats really do love willow. But it's quite likely that in a couple of years time the pond will be hidden by rushes and will efficiently assimilate any fool who decides to stroll across the bog/loch thing. Will this blog entry be used in years to come to support a charge of the manslaughter of some innocent ornithologist voraciously consumed by my loch/pond/trap?

No comments: