Wednesday 5 May 2010

Fog

Today it is foggy. Fog is such a rare thing up here I felt I must run to the hills to tell you all about it.

Yesterday there were swallows swooping around the cottage. Today there are sky larks tweeting madly out on the common. Two sure signs of summer. If only spring had arrived.

And then there's this election thing tomorrow. I mean really, what am I to do. Jussi, who is not allowed to vote in this election - cos we don't want foreigners telling us how to run the country eh? - keeps asking me how I'm going to vote - and do you know? - I haven't got a clue.

Once upon a time I'd have voted labour - virtually without second thought. But a gradual disillusionment with their loss of values and purpose culminating in the invasion of Iraq has ruled them out. I may vote labour again one day, but those responsible for the war will need to be long gone before I do.

My default position for many years has been Green. I don't agree with all their policies but they place the number one issue as the key driver for all policies. But in this mega safe lib dem seat they aren't putting up a candidate. Doubtless to save themselves some money.

I couldn't vote Conservative. I mean just couldn't. I was in the industrial north of England in the early '80s. They can't be forgiven for what they did - and I was in Scotland in the late '80s - and they can't be forgiven for what they did then either. There are still people kicking around in the party hierarchy who were part of all that stuff and despite all the gloss and focus-group blandness they (and all the main parties) project - I just don't believe they've changed.

Lib Dems are OK in a sort of supermarket muzak sort of way. Harmless enough, gently progressive-ish in places but I can't help feeling that they lack substance. Nick Clegg doesn't at all strike me as any kind of leader and hasn't managed to say anything substantial for weeks. But I do enjoy their slogan "Change that works" . He's fond of standing in front of banners with his head obscuring 'that'. Changeworks. There's a good name. I mean I'm reasonably content that Lib Dems will win this seat whatever I do - but I can't really bring myself to vote for them.

The SNP message that a strong Scottish voice in Westminster will protect Scottish interests is a convincing one - albeit a little selfish perhaps. But I couldn't vote for them. I distrust nationalism of any kind and I deeply distrust Alex Salmond who is a smarmy egotist who seems to be willing to say anything as long as he thinks it will be popular. Such populism smacks of false clothing - who knows what he is really wearing underneath?

We have an independent standing. But he is just plain mad.

So what sort of choice is that? I think maybe a spoilt paper is in order. Spoiling the paper is far better than not voting at all - which is just lazy - and spoiling the paper makes some kind of statement about lack of choice and discontent with the system. It can be interpreted in other ways of course. Which is a bit of a problem.

Fog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Possibly, this has been explained to me before, but as an EU national, I would have thought Mrs SG has the right to vote.

Other than that you have summed up my thoughts exactly. The only difference being we live in a key marginal - only 400 odd votes at the last general election, so I feel that my vote really matters.

Jussi said...

I would have thought so too, human stomach. I *can* vote in local elections, but they don't let me anywhere near any general elections. Grrrr

Ellie Logan said...

I had the same dilemma. Would have personally financed a green candidate had I known - if not stood myself.
Ended up voting SNP - first time ever.
Mainly cos the smarmy lib dem hadnae made any effort to canvass since they knew they would win.
Democracy can be so much improved....