Wednesday 17 February 2010

Toilet habits

I've started planting. In doors, in empty toilet roll inners - leeks. But we've run out of toilet roll holders - we saved them for ages, then they got thrown out and now we're short - so here is another plea for more visitors - we need you to come and stay so I can plant more leeks.

But this return of winter - the snow - the cold - the biting winds - - it's taking its toll on my ability to get motivated and get to grips with the veg patch again. A neighbour gave us two good big blackcurrant bushes at the weekend. Fantastic - but it forced me to get out and dig up more ground for them - and man was it heavy work. In between all the snow and stuff there has been a lot of wet dropping down - the soil is back breakingly heavy - Spain looks quite nice (though not this one obviously - not enough land).

Hey ho.

5 comments:

Jo said...

I don't use my toilet roll inners for leeks. I plant about 20 seeds into a largish plant pot. When big enough to transplant I just tip the lot out of the pot and pull them apart. Sorry to hear that the weather is bad again where you are, I can't see an end to winter. Lucky you being given some blackcurrant bushes. That's got to be worth braving the weather for.

townmouse said...

I'm saving mine for parsnips. I think if you're good at origami, you can make them out of newspaper too.

The magic 10 hours of daylight starts for us tomorrow - a few days yet for you, I'm guessing

The Speaking Goat said...

I'm flattered that you guys are still cheking in on the blog even though I'm going through a patch of being really crap at posting crap posts.

But - Jo - Apparently the trick with leeks and toilet rolls is to keep adding soil as the leeks grow - then you can plant them out deep and you get even more of that succulent white flesh. I've never tried it. The piccies on your blog show leeks miles to aspire to. Competitive long distance gardening - mine will be better than yours next year!

Origami! Way to go....

Anonymous said...

You're planting your leeks already? Is that why my leeks didn't get much bigger than a large spring onion last year - I planted them too late? Oh well, if you can get yours in right up there in the north, I reckon I can get mine started here on the slightly warmer (maybe) west coast. Now, where did I put those toilet roll tubes...? Lynda

Jo said...

I don't doubt that for one minute. I was hoping that mine would bulk up a little more, but they never did. I'm trying two different varieties this year to see if it makes any difference. You can still plant the leeks deep without them being in toilet rolls. I make a deep hole and just drop them in, leaving just the tops sticking out. I've heard of people putting toilet roll tubes around the leeks once they are in the ground, to blanche the stems. Good luck with them, we'll compare notes at the end of the year.