Wednesday 24 February 2010

Really really really free

Sometimes I go into the kitchen. Some would then accuse me of pottering. But pottering sounds altogether too purposeful. Sometimes I go the the kitchen and pitter.

Pittering is best when the old ipod is loud and fresh. And this morning I was blessed to hear God Save the Queen .

I was about 16 when this was released - head full of the likes of Joni Mitchell, David Bowie, Genesis and yes even Yes. And boy did punk sound crap. I mean really crap. I soon came to love it, and this morning that echo was a joyous one indeed.

But how offensive to the establishment! I know it was banned by the Beeb and all that, but even so I can't imagine anything so radical being released today - let alone becoming a hit.

Pop today is, well best summed up by Dizzee Rascal :

'All I care about is sex and violence/ A heavy baseline is my silence' (from Bonkers)

Where has all the anger gone? All that teenage angst and rebellion that I certainly loved to love? I doubt there's any drugs been added to the water - we have something far far worse - Simon Cowell and his endless pap pop.

Pap pop. Pottering pittering. I made potato scones this morning. How punk is that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The youth of the day just take their angst out on 'Call of Duty' or Twitter while listening to Alkaline Trio.
When I first decided my mum & dad were annoying, I used to nod vigourously to Judas Priest or Saxon and wear bar-towels on my knees. What jolly fun.
And 'pittering'? How can you 'not quite potter'? I hate to think of what 'pittering' must achieve, considering my pathetic output when pottering.
Hope you achieve pancakes tomorrow.

MTB

Word verification:
'sallys' - that which belongs to Sally.