Tuesday 28 October 2008

When dost one don ones thermals?

Visitors in August were disappointed when I snarled at the idea of lighting the fire in August. It may have been a little cold - but if the fire is lit in August what is left when it really gets cold?

Yesterday was cold. Today is colder. Jussi was out to check the goats at 6 and I came down to light the fire (first time success, Mike). I planned to light the fire, get dressed and then go up and see if I could help Jussi with the goats. Trouble was I couldn't move away from the fire on account of the warmth. Eventually the thought of thermals spurred me to action. (In as much as I got dressed - haven't made it up to the goats yet, although Jussi has returned so I'm off the hook for a while).

And I was pleased to see a gritter lorry come all the way to the end of our lane. Hurray for the Cuuncil.

As I write this the snow is flying past the window, almost horizontal, occasionally carrying a little Ailsa with it. I guess this is good news - all the snow must be landing somewhere to the left of us innit. And the thermals seem justified.

But it's only October - what on earth will I be wearing in February?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The snow's been landing here in Aberdeenshire. Unfortunately, no one on the council appears to have noticed 3-4cm of cold, white stuff on the roads.

As for thermals, they came out of storage on Saturday when the first really cold blow of the season hit.