Saturday 30 January 2010

Unsavoury

I can't tell if I'm pant-wettingly excited about a night in the pub in Edinburgh, or pant-wettingly worried about the return of the snow.

I have to go to Stirling on Wednesday which means an early morning (ie pre-gritter time) drive to Lairg to catch the train. And although where we are the snow doesn't look horrendous, the route to Lairg, through Crask and Altnaharra, often closes. And we're not just talking about nights in the pub here - there's money involved. I've got two days work in Stirling. I have to get there.

I could go to Thurso and catch the train there - but it exceedingly adds to the length of the journey...

fret fret

And all that fretting is distracting me from the urgent need to arrange to meet all the people I'd like to meet and decide what to make in my woodwork nightclass which also starts next week.

fret fret

4 comments:

townmouse said...

I'm beginning to think that stress expands to fill the space available. So if you give up your stressful job and your stressful commute, other things flow in to fill the gap... I'm looking after the landlord's chickens at the moment. Oh, the responsibility!

The Speaking Goat said...

Very true - in fact quite profound. But the rural life is a different kind of stress - an altogether healthier kind of stress I like to think.

Stressing about getting to work in Stirling is that other bad stress of course.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there's much a choice there, really.
Yes, the Thurso route adds hours to your journey, but mostly in time spent sitting at railway stations or on trains, all of which can be used in preparation time, or for project contemplation & creative design work (like what to buid at woodwork classes - the best thing you'll make will have been scribbled, sketched & thoroughly planned out in advance).
The alternative of getting the car stuck in a 4ft snow drift half way down Loch Loyal would really screw your week.
Back to the woodwork dilemma. Ask to try out turning something on a laith, then make a doodly finial for the top of the newel post at the foot of the stair in the croft.

MTB

Word verification:
'inontle' = a no-brainer choice.

KitYule said...

Looking forward to seeing you in the Pub in Sunny Dunny - plenty Vitamin D down here.

Word Ver: arafe
Young man feigning posh diffidence to seduce impressionable young women.