Friday 21 August 2009

Identity crisis


Thruckbird? Blackbrush? Or just an adolescent blackbird? Like Phil the hedgehog, blackbirds love the cat food. This one was on alert and flew off as soon as I'd snapped this piccy. A wee wren was less fortunate this morning. It's good to have cats - they're getting few a good number of rabbits and mice, but wrens? Oh dear.

Talking of hunting - here are the results of the last fishing expedition. Fishing is dangerous business - and coastal fishing especially so - this catch was taken on Monday evening - the tide was pounding in and Ailsa and I both got soaked.
Getting wet is fine - but it's the fear of the freak big wave sweeping us off the rocks that bugs me and I think I'm going to pay more attention to tide tables and will check not just the time of the tide but also it's predicted height. And maybe I'll stuff Ailsa into a life jacket for good measure. But of course, like cycling helmets, the danger of safety equipment is it can give you false confidence.

Pollock again - very tasty.

2 comments:

Nick said...

We have a bird exactly like that in our garden, so if you ever find out what it is, do let me know. (I presume it isn't the same one - from northern Scotland to NL is too long a flight to do overnight, surely.)

Nice fish, incidentally - obviously it's well worth risking the lives of a few close relatives to get a catch like that.

Jo said...

Great catch. My kids love fishing too, in fact, they're dad's taking them today.