Tuesday 29 July 2008

Snaehoha


Hidden in nearly every clump of grass around the croft is some old piece of machinery. Its a joy to unbury them and wonder.

I reckon this magnificent beast - named Snaehoha by Ailsa - was a turnip shredder to open neeps and the like for feeding to animals. It has lost it's plunger - but I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult repair and we will if ever we need to. It is a magnificent looking thing.

We are bringing together a vast amount of scrap iron as a result of unearthing these tools of crofting past. One day, I tell myself somewhat foolishly, I will build a wind sculpture out of it all. It will clang away all night and frighten off all the ghosties, whilst providing a sort of aural security blanket - once we're accustomed to the din that is.

No comments: