Tuesday 22 June 2010

Danger

We were warned, before we'd moved up here even, not to go charging in - as incomers do so often - and telling other people how to live their lives. Struck me as wise words - so I've held back from joining the community council and the like. I think maybe we've over-done this - I mean there are lots of committees and things that need help without them being involved in effecting change, so I guess on top of heeding warnings you need to add a good dose of laziness.

But now I've almost got a job (the funding for the post isn't quite confirmed). And that job is designed to bring about change - but at least it's over an hours drive away and maybe no-one here will notice.

I was through there yesterday - getting a sort of induction. Already I am encountering colourful characters, not all of whom strike me as particularly pleasant, and some of whom have most definitely decided to ignore any warnings about being meddlesome. As a blogger I feel in a very difficult position - my instinct is to rant and rave about some of my findings to date, to tear into some of the personalities I've already encountered - but I also know that such would be incredibly unwise - far more people read this blog locally than I hoped and this makes spouting personal opinions very dangerous.

What am I to do?


2 comments:

townmouse said...

I have long feared waking up to discover I've turned into Lynda Snell. But sometimes that can hold you back from doing something that you can do and needs to be done.

Regarding the blogging I think you may have to omit some of the work-based ranting (she says reluctantly as I'm sure it's all blogging gold). I suppose the rule is if you'd say it in the pub, it's probably safe to say it on the blog, as long as you'd say it in the pub regardless of who was listening - if you were looking over your shoulder to see if so-and-so is around, then maybe it's not for public consumption

Rebecca said...

Think the pub anology is an excellent one (though it's effectiveness may be inversely proportional to number of pints consumed - I guess that's equally applicable to blogging!).

And you could view local interest in the blog as a positive. Plenty of potential for shared rants I'd have thought. The SRDP alone can keep a roomful of people in full on rant mode for hours! I know, I've been in that room. And your description of the rules for sharing funds from wind farms was outstanding - should be issued as official guidance!