Tuesday 29 September 2009

Return of the idyll

That last post was a bit gloomy eh? Truth is though, sometimes it's better to express those bad feelings rather than sit on them and let them fester. The wind died hours after that post - to be replaced - for one morning only - by Summer. Big Summer Blast. Blue skies, blazing heat. Wonderful.

By afternoon it was raining. After only two and a half days it has now stopped raining - though it is still a bit misty. The English language is surprisingly lacking in words for rain. Rain has many guises. The rain here is most often mist-like. Usually it's driving mist which can be very wetting but can also be very refreshing. For the last couple of days we've had torrential mist - very wet, very heavy but also very fine, and quite silent. And an awful lot of it.

Last night I popped outside to check that it was still raining - and indeedy it was. And the scene by our cottage door was of a hedgehog eating the cat food. One cat eating a rabbit, and the other cat torn between jealously watching the hedgehog and jealously watching her daughter devour rabbit. I mean, I ask you, on a scale of 10, how high does that score for blissful ruralism?

Meanwhile I'm trying to knock out a tender for the building works on the house. I'd drafted it and asked a pal in the trade to comment on it. He didn't exactly tear it to shreds - but after I've absorbed all his comments it will look very different from my first draft - and a good few acres of trees longer to boot.

But I'm also working (shock horror) - got a bit of consultancy work and this needs to take precedence. And I've got a brew to be bottled, an accountant to see this week (hopefully) and still the behemoth of the grant application for our empire building to complete. Hey ho. Onwards onwards.

5 comments:

Nick said...

Sounds to me like a dose of Autumn's lodged in your soul. Elysium, they tell me, is a state of mind, not a place. And you'll reach it most easily, I think, by promoting the brew-bottling to number one on your list.

The Speaking Goat said...

GOOD PLAN!

Unfortunately I have work to do....

KitYule said...

Smirry:

There was no airt or direction
to guide one on one's way.
There was no place or time there,
but one great, deep
stillness.

The world was full of tenderness,
under druidry and under a cloak,
and there was a fairy blindfolding
on my eyes in the smirry drizzle of mist.

The Speaking Goat said...

Cheers Chris!

Great word - I'll try to use it sometime. But it doesn't describe torrential drizzle does it? Does it? Sounds more gentle to me. Suggestions for torrential drizzle v welcome though!

Anonymous said...

Gotta just make it up.
The next Google Blog verification word will do:

'Pediste' - a dense wind-driven vapour

Alternatively, buy yourself a pluvioscope and take up udometry before you develop ombrophobia.

We're coming up to Forres & Alness in the October break, BTW. Could meet up somewhere between 18-22 Oct?

MTB