Thursday 9 April 2009

Herbal deficit causes moonlighting

Yesterday morning we had sheep on our land so after milking and feeding the kids, Jussi Ailsa and I spent an 'enjoyable' hour getting them off. It makes you realise why you don't see fat sheep dogs.

I found where they'd got in and patched up the fence - it was really just a matter of filling a few gaps under the fence with big stones.

While feeding the kids in the evening I noticed the sheep were back. Jussi and I made a couple of attempts to get them out but we soon gave up and Jussi went off to track down their owner - who equipped with lithe sheep dog - could get them out in minutes. While she did that I looked for where they'd got in this time and found some tell-tale scrags of wool on the top of a section of fence - sheep can jump quite high when they want to! So I gathered together some gripples and a roll of rylock and set about raising the height of the fence. By this time it was dark - but my labours were amply lit by a fullsome moon.

John the Post got his sheep out very quickly - though rather alarmingly he got them out from the top field - where there are no gates - but I guess it was dark so he wasn't to know that. I'll go and check for damage later when the rain stops.

Jussi had to get to the vets early this morning (I think she'll be ok - thanks for asking) - which meant that we were up at 5 to milk and feed. Getting up at 5 worked well - and I think we may stick to this timetable for when Ailsa returns to school next week.

As the kids mobbed me I noticed that the featured sheep where in Big T's field - ok except for the fact that there is a gaping gap in the fence by the 'loch' so after feeding the kids I hurried down with an offcut of rylock to patch that up before they got in.

All of which reminds me of an incident earlier in the week that led me to remark to Jussi in my most imperiously sage voice "Aye - there's a lot to be said for getting jobs done when they need to be done rather than when you need them to have been done." A useful motto, but difficult to follow when it's raining and there's a blog to write.

3 comments:

Lulu Stader said...

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms. I know you are having two lots of visitors. Please tell us what you're up to as soon as you can!

PS: was in Scoraig yesterday. Very interesting. Have you ever been? I think you'd love it there! Every house has a windmill...

Lulu Stader said...

ps: 'fulticle' - a particularly nasty insect bite gone septic

The Speaking Goat said...

Sorry Lulu - I'm feeling guilty and will do a little post soon.

I used to know a guy who was a very early settler at Scoraig, - a cycling buddy - but I've never been.

Lot's of opportunity for futicles around here.