Sunday 21 December 2008

Sunrise 9:06, Sunset 15:24

The shortest day ever!

After Fridays storms, and yesterdays calm, it's stormy again today. It's not forecast to be as bad as Friday, but as I sit here watching sheep fly past the window (OK not quite), I am feeling a wee bitty nervous.

Ailsa was frightened on Friday night. We put her to bed and her bedroom was filled with the cacophony of tiles slapping the roof and rumbles and screams of unseen things bemoaning the gusts of 85 mph** (according to the forecast I'd seen earlier). We made light of it and tucked her up but both Jussi and I admitted we were nervous too. I've never felt fear like it to be honest - I mean it wasn't like scarey or terrifying - just a deep sense of foreboding, a nervous edginess.

Ailsa and I walked to the post office yesterday and, to her delight, we saw that all the fences had been decorated by the grass - ripped up by the wind and wound around the wire. "Even nature knows it's Christmas".

Today the forecast is maximum gusts 65mph. That's still very windy folks although the weather people don't seem to think it's anything of note. I have a window between 10 and 12 to go get a Sunday paper. The car is out of action - battery utterly dead - and Jussi thinks it's too windy to take the van. What, I have to walk?!!



**137 kilometers per hour, or 40 metres per second

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, no bike?

Acually, a bike in a gale is no fun either

The Speaking Goat said...

I could have taken the bike to the shop - in the back of the van - otherwise - just not possible. I don't mean difficult, I mean impossible.

Daniel said...

So the big question is, is it too windy to play records without them jumping?

The Speaking Goat said...

Records? What are they? Methinks you're showing your age Daniel.