Tuesday 15 September 2009

How many cauliflowers does it take to feed three people?

Last night the answer was three - and even then they had to be supplemented with carrots and lots of mashed potato. The cauliflowers are very tasty but extremely small. Out of the ten or so plants I've had only one looks as though its going to get anywhere near what you might consider cauliflower sized.

But why? They were all planted at the same time, in the same bed, with the same spacing, and they've all been subjected to the same watering regime, feeding regime, caterpillarpickingoff regime, slugpickingoff regime, weed control, et cetera. Why does one cauliflower decide that it will invest in a good canopy of leaves and therefore have the energy produce a decent enough head while the others just faff about looking pathetic?

And does the success of one cauliflower mean that I should invest the time and energy and try them again next year, or does the pathetic eau de cauliflower meals we've had from the other nine mean that I should abandon any fantasies of cauliflower cheese forever and ever. Amen?

2 comments:

Jo said...

Cauliflowers are supposed to be a pain to grow. This was the first year that I've grown them, and they did ok, but I've decided that I'm giving up on brassicas next year. They all got netted and this was really effective in keeping the butterflies from laying their eggs on them, I didn't find one carerpillar. My problem was the slugs. I didn't manage to get one cabbage into a pan. The sprouts look to be doing ok though, obviously slugs are just as fussy as kids.

The Speaking Goat said...

Thanks Jo.

Apart from the cauliflowers, and the cabbage root fly, and the slugs, our brassica are doing OK. We've had a good few greyhound cabbage - although you do have to wash carefully because of the slugs. I've a few brussel sprouts that are doing OK and some purple broccoli that look good. But I find brassicca to be remarkably resilient - they get hammered by slugs and caterpillars but just soldier on anyway and eventually give you something.