Tuesday 3 May 2011

Timetables


Ah-ha! The first cuckoo was heard this morning - and the swallows are back nesting in the goat house and boy oh boy what a spring.

And I've been working like working work work. Preparing a tender for our local community transport group - and gee whiz is it complicated. I've done tenders before, and I've experienced far more complicated tender processes, but the complication here is trying to vary timetables to suit what we perceive as local need, which adjusts driver hours and mileage (which has to be split into live miles and dead miles). It probably sounds straight forward enough - but there are a myriad of variations and the tendency is for me to be tied in knots most of the time. And to be honest the way Highland Council have written the timetables hasn't helped. Here is a typical example.
Meanwhile I return to blog cos I'm sick of staring at timetables. And here is the view from my home-office window. But I'm trying to keep the fact that I work for the Home Office a secret.

3 comments:

Nick said...

You'd think, wouldn't you, that once you'd decided to run for the hills there'd be no more need for timetables - that you'd never have to come face to face with one again. But apparently not. Ho hum.

By the way, it's a while now since I visited, so I'm pleased to discover you've finally managed to move in!

The Speaking Goat said...

Thanks Nick, you're quite right, although you'd be surprised how good the dog/thegoats/thecats/thechickens and even the guinea pigs are at knowing what time it is and you you really should have fed/walked/milked them by now.

And what's happened to you - how is your Croatian wonderland?

Nick said...

Still wonderful - and still largely out of reach until later this summer when work finally leaves me behind and we can actually get there to live in it from time to time.