Friday 27 August 2010

Random Plugs 2

Here's a wee missive from Dave - who once gave me a birthday present of the promise of a full bike service which I never cashed in. Fortunately, on his way north, he'll be dropping in for a coffee and general refuelling - maybe a good time to get him to look at my crankshaft? (ooh err). Probably not. So if you know him follow the link and give 'im a fiver, and if you don't, a tenner.

You probably didn’t know that my daughter Rosa, now aged 6, was seriously ill last year. She was diagnosed with a brain tumour last October and had a major operation a week later. The immediate response and exemplary care that she got from the Sick Kids Hospital in Edinburgh undoubtedly saved her life. It has been a long road, but Rosa has made a remarkable recovery and is now a happy wee girl starting back at school in Primary 2.

The Sick Kids Friends Foundation has launched a campaign to raise funds for new brain surgery equipment to give children in Rosa's situation an even better chance of recovery. So I have decided to do a sponsored bike ride to raise funds and try and give a little something back. I’ll be attempting to cycle the length of Scotland, from Gretna Green to John O'Groats the scenic way, at the end of September. 450 miles in 5 days through the rain, against the wind, up hills and, errr, up more hills.

Anyway – would you consider sponsoring me? Every little helps.

Please visit

www.justgiving.com/gretna2groats


You can also read my ramblings about my preparations and follow my progress during the ride itself at:

twitter.com/gretna2groats

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hmmm - I knew that offer of a full bike service would come back to haunt me. What a fantastic memory you have. I was just too mean to buy you a present, so that Bike Repair pledge scrawled on the back of an envelope seemed like a good idea at the time. cheers for the plug. Dave